Sunday, February 6, 2011

NO TALKING!!!

To me the exercise was difficult and very frustrating, but at the same time I still had a lot of fun trying to communicate. I would say the hardest part was trying to communicate at lunch. Walking through the hallways was a little easier because the conversations weren’t as complex but to sit down with a hand full of teenagers and try to figure out the weekends plans was not easy. It was easier for me to draw or signal objects or commands but when it came to ideas, places or a place in time or event it was more than difficult. At lunch we were trying to talk about the dance and I tried to bring up homecoming but I could not figure out how to get my friends to understand, we ended up using our friends that could talk to help out by having then guess and we would sign back yes or no which made it a little easier at times. This event works perfectly with Postman’s book on pages six and seven when he says that you “cannot use smoke (signals) to do philosophy”, we could not use pictures or actions to talk ideas and details.

3 comments:

  1. I agree it was "frustrating" and much more difficult to convey more complicated ideas. Plus the message trying to be conveyed wouldn't have the same meaning as you would have wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that this experiment was very difficult and frustrating at times, but it was entertaining trying to figure out what people were trying to say. I agree that it was easy at some points, like in the hallway, and very frustrating at others, like at lunch. Trying to hold a conversation is very difficult when you can only draw and sign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being able to describe homecoming with a picture is not easy at all. It was a smart Idea to have your "friends that could talk to help out by having then guess" and you "sign back yes or no". That would have made my day easier for sure.

    ReplyDelete